Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Home Ec: Jewelry Cubby Re-Do

As many know, I live in a very small space with Dr D and Otto.  Among some, our home is fondly referred to as The Horseshoe for its resemblance to said object.  We're talking less than 400 square feet.  Yeah.  It's cozy.  That being said, everything in The Horseshoe has to have a designated spot...well most everything.  Enter my jewelry cubby.  In our closet area there are some great built in shelves, drawers and a cubby where I store my jewels, perfumes and other odds and ends.  As you can see, it's a bit of a mess. 


Eee!  What a mess!


Maybe it was the lovely weather we had this past Saturday, but I was overcome suddenly to re-org.  There was a lot of stuff in that tiny space!  Here's the shortlist:
  • An evil eye from Turkey, a gift from my mom
  • Buddhist prayer beads my dad brought back from Korea
  • An old family photo
  • 12 bottles of lotion, of varying sizes and fullness...Seriously?!
  • Flowers from Dr D that I pressed and framed when I was living in the UK
  • 7 different perfumes, not including a Jo Malone sampler set of 6 different fragrances
  • Random key to one of my vintage suitcases, don't know which tho
  • A "Sex Bomb" badge, a "Rock the Vote" pin circa '00 and an "XX" pin off a pair of Genetic Denims
  • A Mister Potato Brush from my lovely friend Linds
  • 2 flattened pennies- 1 from Ellis Island and 1 from the Disney World Boardwalk
The list could go on and on and doesn't even include my jewelry, a myriad of necklaces, rings and bracelets.  I honestly never realized.  Undaunted by volume, I set to work and after about an hour, small garbage bag, several clear push pins and a bit of string, I have a lovely and well organized jewelry cubby. The best part, I didn't have to buy anything to organize the cubby AND I can actually find things now.


So clean and pretty.

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing! And with all the space left on the shelf we have enough room for another beer fermentation bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sans lotion bottle, I can imagine this being a huge room with some giant art on the wall!

    ReplyDelete